Coptic Cairo

Narrow passages wind through the area.

The Coptic area was fascinating. Narrow streets and alleys wind through the quarter leading to one of the oldest sections of Cairo. It is largely built over the 3rd century AD Roman fortress of Babylon.

The Coptic people are native Egyptians who were converted to Christianity in the 1st Century. Copts today comprise just about 10% of Egypt’s population, with nearly all of the remaining 90% being Sunni Muslims. There is much persecution of the Copts and in recent times they have been victims of terrorist attacks.

Apostle St. Mark arrived here around 60 AD and his handiwork is still evident. We visited the church of St. Sergius & St. Bacchus, the oldest Coptic church in Cairo.

This mural in the courtyard of the Coptic Museum shows the journey of the Holy Family.

Because the street of Cairo has been built up over the years, the entrance is down a set of stairs. It’s claimed that while escaping King Herod’s decree of killing infant boys, Joseph, Mary and their child were forced to flee from persecution, and they found shelter here..

Muslims, Jews, and Christians hold the place sacred.
This mural depicts Joseph drawing water from a nearby well. Note the ablution basin for ritualistic washing before prayer.

 

The well said to be used by the Holy Family.

Tradition claims that the Holy Family spent 3 months in this cave that is now under the church, in the heart of Cairo.  The church of St. Sergio’s and St. Bacchus is built directly over where Christ allegedly lived.

The well there is said to date back to that time. It’s interesting to think of Christ as a political refugee in light of all the rhetoric about immigration  and refugees today.

 

Chapel hewn from Cave that sheltered the Holy Family.
A map showing the route to and from Egypt.
The vaulted ceiling depict Noah’s Ark.

The oldest church in the Coptic area is the venerable St. Mary’s. Typical of Coptic churches, the walls are adorned with icons, the altar is shielded by an iconostasis, and the barrel-vaulted ceiling is constructed of wooden planks imitating Noah’s Ark. It’s known as the hanging church because a section of it spans a portion of the Roman ruins below.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Coptic Cairo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s